Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sweet Potato, Tomato and Quinoa Soup




Get ready for a delicious, hearty and tasty soup my friends! I have adapted a recipe that was originally posted by http://thatwasvegan.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/sweet-potato-tomato-and-quinoa-soup/.
A few small changes were made, but I feel at least the 1st 2 changes listed below made a world of difference.
1. I used 2 cups of fresh tomatoes vs a 16oz can of tomatoes. I think the flavor is worth the extra work!
2. I cooked the quinoa in Not-Chick'n broth for extra flavor.
 (I think vegetable broth would be delicious as well)
3. I also made less quinoa then originally called for in the recipe linked above.
Anyways, this soup is one of the best soups I have ever had, and I didn't know something could be this delicious and creamy without added cream. I must say, it was a very pleasant surprise! This soup is pretty good for you too, and you wouldn't know it if you try it because it tastes sinful. It is tasty with or without the quinoa as well.
Enjoy!!

Sweet Potato, Tomato and Quinoa Soup

Ingredients:

For Soup-
1Lg Vidalia Onion (or sweet onion), chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
3 Lg Sweet Potatoes, chopped (Use hannah yams if you can find them!)
2c. Chopped Tomatoes
4c. Veggie Stock
1T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)

For Quinoa-
2c. Quinoa
4c. Broth

Directions:
Cook the Quinoa according to directions. Set aside. Sauté onions with EVOO for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sautee for 1-2 minutes longer. Put sautéed garlic and onions in a large soup pan or stock pan with tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and veggie stock. Simmer ingredients together until sweet potatoes are tender.

When the potatoes are tender, transfer this to a blender or food processor. Process/Blend until smooth.
Serve the soup with a generous amount of quinoa on top, and enjoy!
I did not have the quinoa ready to top off my soup in the picture, but I think you get the picture anyways! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment