Saturday, June 9, 2012

Vegan Pizza


Oh pizza, how I missed you. How many times you lead me astray from my diet cause I just couldn't live without you-until now!
Let me be upfront -if you are looking for a gooey cheese pizza, look somewhere else-you will not find that here! I haven't tried any of the vegan cheese yet, and I am not sure I will. It looks so gross on a pizza-or on anything for that matter, that I am not sure I will ever come around to it. MAYBE, if someone is really convincing and asks me to give it a whirl. But I am a girl from Wisconsin, and I know what cheese is supposed to taste like, and that stuff just does not appeal to me even slightly.
BUT, if you like the flavor of cheese on a pizza and everything else about a pizza-then I have a delicious recipe for you!

Ingredients:
Pizza dough or pre made crust (we used Whole Foods pre made dough)
Pizza sauce
Your favorite toppings (we used spinach and mushrooms)

Cheese aka Tofu Ricotta:
http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/stuffed-shells/
BTW-those stuffed shells are AMAZING!!! You should totally try them-and feel free to feed them to your friends who are non believers in anything vegan-they won't know the difference-I SWEAR!

Directions:
Prepare the Tofu Ricotta from the above link as directed. Set aside.
Prepare the dough, if you are starting from scratch. Place rolled out dough onto a baking sheet and cook (at suggested temperature) for only 3-5 minutes. You are just looking for the crust to be slightly cooked. Remove from oven, and allow to cool for a minute or two. **If you are starting with a pre made crust-dont worry about this step.
Next spread the Tofu Ricotta on the crust. You will not need entire batch that you made from the recipe above, but feel free to apply liberally. We put it on the crust because we tried it crumbled on top once, and it just dried out a little too much for our liking-although the flavor was still good.
Top that with your pizza sauce and the load on the toppings! I think good suggestions would be: mushrooms & onions (both good fresh or sautéed), garlic, spinach, tomatoes, black olives, artichoke hearts etc. What we have learned is to make sure to apply more than you will think is necessary cause they will shrink up on the oven.
Toss the prepared pizza in the oven for maybe 5-10 minutes (checking it often enough just to prevent an over cooked crust).
Take it out of the oven, slice, serve and enjoy!
Satisfies my craving~hope it does yours the same.
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment